Enabling Account Numbers
QuickBooks does not require the use of account numbers for General Ledger accounts. In order to have a logical chart of account configuration in Spire, it is mandatory to set up the desired account numbers in QuickBooks before converting data. Here are the steps to do this most effectively in QuickBooks:
- Create an Account Listing report from the Reports / List menu and all accounts.
- Use the Customize Report button to only include the Account and Type fields. Ensure that Inactive accounts are included in the report.
- From the Excel button on the report list, create a new worksheet and export the report to CSV format.
- Open the CSV file you created in Excel.
- Add a new column for AccountNo and fill in GL Accounts numbers for every row.
- 5 character long Account Numbers are recommended.
- Save the worksheet as a new CSV file, so that the original file is not overwritten.
- In QuickBooks, enable account numbers from the Edit / Preferences menu, in the Accounting section and the Company Preferences tab.
- Import the account number changes from the Chart of Accounts list window. From the Account button, choose Import from Excel, then select the file with the updated account numbers.
- You likely will need to use the Data Mapping process to match your file columns to the QuickBooks account file. Click the Mappings button and for all places where the QuickBooks field is either Type, Number or Name, select the respective column title from your import file. This needs to be repeated three times in file layout, in order to be accepted for importing.
- Before importing the changes, ensure that on the Preferences tab that the option to update and replace existing records with import data and ignoring blank fields is selected so that the chart of accounts is updated with this information but other field information is not removed.
- The import can now be processed. After the import finishes, ensure that all Accounts now have an Account number, including Inactive accounts. You may need to manually edit some accounts to set a new unique account number, in case some accounts did not get updated from the import.